Liverpool news as Trent Alexander-Arnold told reality and Man Utd chases transfer

1 hour ago 21

Latest Liverpool transfer news as Real Madrid boss Alvaro Arbeloa praises Trent Alexander-Arnold, while Manchester United plots summer move for Alexis Mac Allister

Chris Burns Senior Sports Writer

08:39, 18 Feb 2026

Trent Alexander-Arnold joined Real Madrid last summer

Trent Alexander-Arnold joined Real Madrid last summer(Image: Getty Images)

While attention remains focused on Liverpool's summer recruitment plans, the club has been shaken by speculation that one of its key players has caught the eye of Manchester United.

The Reds embarked on a significant summer spending spree that saw them smash their transfer record on two occasions. The record was first broken with Florian Wirtz and subsequently with Alexander Isak. Hugo Ekitike, Milos Kerkez, Jeremie Frimpong, and Giovanni Leoni were also among those to arrive at Anfield last summer, as around $600 million was spent.

The Reds' campaign hasn't unfolded as anticipated thus far. Nevertheless, Arne Slot's players remain in contention in the Champions League and FA Cup, while also pursuing a European qualification spot, and bolstering their impressive summer acquisitions will surely take precedence over losing key personnel. Here is Liverpool.com's latest round-up from Anfield...

READ MORE: Trent Alexander-Arnold slams alleged racist abuse of Vinicius Jr - 'Disgrace to football'READ MORE: Wayne Rooney believes Liverpool is missing player who was cut from squad

Manchester United wants Alexis Mac Allister

As reported earlier this week, United is considering a surprising swoop for Alexis Mac Allister.

The Red Devils are seeking midfield reinforcements during the summer transfer window, with the 27-year-old emerging as a possible option.

Old Trafford officials are believed to be monitoring the Argentina World Cup winner closely, who still has two-and-a-half years remaining on his Liverpool contract.

Manchester United is considering a shock swoop for Alexis Mac Allister

Manchester United is considering a shock swoop for Alexis Mac Allister(Image: Getty Images)

Questions have arisen regarding Mac Allister's Anfield future, as the former Brighton midfielder has struggled this campaign and hasn't matched his typically high performance levels.

While several players have represented both United and Liverpool throughout their careers, including Michael Owen and Paul Ince, none have transferred directly between the clubs since 1964, when Phil Chisnall made that contentious move.

Trent Alexander-Arnold's future

Former Liverpool player Alexander-Arnold seems to have received reassurances about his position at Real Madrid. The full-back registered his second assist for Los Blancos at the weekend since his arrival at the club last summer.

Arbeloa, who turned out for Liverpool between 2007 and 2009, took over from Xabi Alonso as Madrid boss last month. The Spanish side have secured victory in all five league matches under his stewardship.

Madrid triumphed 4-1 against Real Sociedad at home at the weekend in a performance that showcased Alexander-Arnold's quality through a succession of his characteristic passes. The defender was making his first starting appearance since December 3 after recovering from injury.

Rumors have been swirling that the ex-Reds right-back might depart Madrid this summer after only one campaign. Some sources even suggested he'd been given permission to explore opportunities elsewhere.

Yet Arbeloa has delivered his assessment of Alexander-Arnold. He has insisted that Madrid "wants" players with his capabilities.

"He seems very, very intelligent to me; he understands the game quite well and quite quickly," Arbeloa said following Saturday's win. "He's not the typical full-back who's always out wide; he'll also be playing a lot further inside. In our system, we want players like that."

Read Entire Article