Marc Guehi transfer saga takes fresh twist as Crystal Palace coach disagrees with chairman

3 hours ago 3

Oliver Glasner has implied that Crystal Palace is not in a position to sell Marc Guehi in the final days of the transfer window, despite interest from Liverpool in signing the England international.

The Reds have pursued the Palace captain for several weeks and remain keen on Guehi heading into the final three days of the summer market. The center-back’s current contract at Selhurt Park expires at the end of the season and it has been widely reported all summer that he is not expected to sign a new deal.

While chairman Steve Parish has been clear that Palace cannot afford to lose the player for free in 2026, the club’s head coach does not seem to share that message.

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s game against Aston Villa, Glasner said: “From my side, he has to [still be a Crystal Palace player] because it's not possible at the moment to find a Marc Guehi replacement who can play straight in the Premier League, being a starter for Crystal Palace, being consistent.

“When we see our foundation of success in the last couple of months and going into the group stage [in the Europa Conference League], it's our defense.

“We have conceded just one goal in the Premier League. This is our foundation and Marc is a crucial part. Getting the right replacement in now is almost impossible.”

 Oliver Glasner Manager of Crystal Palace points out instructions to Marc Guehi of Crystal Palace during the pre season friendly match between Augsburg v Crystal Palace at Hofmaninger Stadium on August 1, 2025 in Linz, Austria. (Photo by Crystal Pix/MB Media/Getty Images)

“He shows in every game he is focused and, again, if Marc had said at one moment: ‘I want to leave Crystal Palace’ the deal would have happened already weeks ago.

“Because his situation, and nobody is to blame for it, if a player has one year left on his contract and the player said: ‘I definitely want to leave’ a deal would happen at every single club. So Marc is fully committed to the team.”

Despite Galsner’s comments, Liverpool.com understands Palace expressed interest in signing Manuel Akanji from Manchester City earlier this week, while Toulouse defender Jaydee Canvot is a reported target for the FA Cup holders.

Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi.

From a Liverpool perspective, Ibrahima Konate’s shaky start to the new season has underlined the need for defensive reinforcements. That 18-year-old summer arrival Giovanni Leoni is seen more as an option for the future, and Joe Gomez cannot be relied on to play consistent minutes must also be considered.

Guehi’s status as an established England international who could be available for a relatively cut-price deal does appeal to Liverpool, while interest in Alexander Isak remains at target before Monday’s deadline.

“As always, we try to sign players who can help us, but there is no reason after the first two games to complain or to think we need more,” Arne Slot said on Friday when asked about Liverpool’s transfer plans.

“But if we can strengthen the squad we will always try to do that if it’s for the right money or the right player. And there are only three or four days to go now, so let's see if we do something.”

Story Saved

You can find this story in  My Bookmarks.Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right.

Read Entire Article