Newcastle chief breaks silence on transfers as Liverpool prepares new Alexander Isak bid

2 hours ago 37

Newcastle director Jamie Reuben has delivered a transfer pledge to the club's supporters, while Alexander Isak remains linked with a potential switch to Premier League rival Liverpool.

It was revealed on Thursday that the Magpies are close to concluding their lengthy hunt for a striker following an agreement to secure Nick Woltemade. Isak, meanwhile, may get his dream move to Liverpool before Monday's deadline, as the Reds are expected to launch a new £130 million ($175 million) bid over the weekend.

Joao Pedro, Hugo Ekitike, and Benjamin Sesko have all turned down Newcastle in recent months, though Woltemade is now anticipated to make the move to the North East from Stuttgart.

When questioned about transfers following the Champions League draw, Reuben commented: "They should rest assured we are working hard. We have worked hard all summer to make sure the team is in the best possible condition to compete at the highest level of football.

"That is what we always want. We have worked hard and will continue working very hard up until the last second to make sure the team is in tip-top shape for the campaign ahead."

Isak is presently training in isolation, having expressed his wish to depart the club despite retaining three years on his deal.

Jamie Reuben has spoken about Isak's situation

Jamie Reuben has spoken about Isak's situation

The 25-year-old also released a statement last week asserting that pledges made to him by the club have been "broken." Following the team's 3-2 loss to Liverpool on Monday, Bruno Guimaraes disclosed that Newcastle's players are eager for the transfer situation to reach a swift conclusion.

"I haven't had any contact with him," he told ESPN Brasil. "We've been training in the mornings, and he trains at a different time, when no one from the team is around.

"As captain, and for us players, it's a tough situation because we want to have the best players with us. That's something we can't control. The club, the management, the owners are dealing with it - and I hope it gets sorted out in the best way.

"We're really missing our striker, a player who scored more than 20 goals in the Premier League last season, so, of course, he's someone we feel the absence of.

"We hope to have our best player back. But unfortunately, this is a situation that neither I nor any other player can control."

Eddie Howe's players remain without a victory in the league this campaign after their stalemate with Aston Villa on the opening weekend was succeeded by a dramatic defeat to Liverpool earlier this week.

However, Reuben maintains the team has merited more from its initial two Premier League games of the season. "We have been really good. I think we deserve more points than we have so far," he told TNT Sports.

"In both games there were good signs of the strength and determination of the team - so I am looking forward to the rest of the campaign."

Story Saved

You can find this story in  My Bookmarks.Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right.

Read Entire Article