Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has failed to find his best form this season and could leave the club in the summer, amid expected interest from the Saudi Pro League
13:10, 20 Feb 2026Updated 13:10, 20 Feb 2026

Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah(Image: 2026 Liverpool FC)
Former Premier League midfielder Rafael van der Vaart thinks it would be in everybody's best interests for Mohamed Salah to leave Liverpool at the end of the season.
Salah is contracted to Liverpool until 2027, having signed a two-year extension last year, but he has shown significant signs of decline this season. After tallying 34 goals and 23 assists last season, Salah has managed just seven goals and eight assists this time around, and he has not registered a Premier League goal from open play since November 1.
Speaking to Sky Bet, Van der Vaart said that Salah departing this summer would perhaps be the best outcome for both the player and the club.
READ MORE: Jermaine Pennant doubles down on John Terry-Virgil van Dijk debate with Alisson exampleREAD MORE: Liverpool told why Arne Slot should not be fired despite $670M summer spending“When I look at Mohamed Salah, and the position he plays on the pitch, he has lost that extra half yard and the pace is gone with age," Van der Vaart said.
"He used to be so quick and would run at players, but I can see now that it is different and this is because of his age.
“When you look at Virgil van Dijk, age is less important for a defender. There were games he performed not at his best and everyone writes him off, but over a full season, even at this age, he shows everyone how good he is.
“Having a big player and a big name is sometimes a problem, for both the player and coach. When you expect certain things as a coach from him, and he doesn’t do it, then of course you have the right to put him on the bench but because its Mohamed Salah, this can cause a massive issue – in every press conference every question will be on Salah.

Former Premier League player Rafael van der Vaart(Image: 2025 BSR Agency)
"It could be best for both sides if Salah goes somewhere else in the summer.”
Salah was the subject a huge bid from Al-Ittihad in 2023, which was rejected by Liverpool, but another offer from one of the clubs in the Saudi Pro League is expected this summer and the player could be more receptive to the move this time around.
If Salah does leave Liverpool this summer, that could accelerate Liverpool's plans to sign a new right-sided forward to replace the legendary Egyptian.
RB Leipzig's Yan Diomande has been regularly linked with a move to Liverpool in recent times, while it was reported this week that the Reds are the front-runners to sign 21-year-old right winger Allan from Palmeiras.

1 hour ago
3








English (US) ·