Newcastle United’s reported change in stance could provide Liverpool with an opportunity to reignite its pursuit of striker Alexander Isak before the transfer deadline.
The Swedish forward has been linked heavily with a move to Anfield this summer, but Newcastle had previously resisted all approaches. Isak is eager to join Liverpool, who is reportedly preparing a second bid before the transfer window closes.
The 25-year-old remains adamant that he has played his final game for Newcastle and has yet to feature for Eddie Howe’s side this season.
Now Newcastle is on the verge of completing a $105 million deal for Stuttgart’s German striker Nick Woltemade. With talks reportedly well advanced, the 23-year-old is expected to travel to Tyneside at short notice for a medical. His arrival could pave the way for Isak to secure his long-awaited move.
Sources have told the Daily Mail that there is now a recognition that a sale could be in everyone’s best interests, provided Newcastle secures at least one, if not two, replacement strikers, as has been the club’s aim all summer.
Signing Woltemade will be the light at the end of the tunnel for Howe's side after the Magpies already had eight bids for five different center-forwards rejected so far this summer.
This week, Newcastle had a second £55M ($74M) bid for Wolves centre-forward Jorgen Strand Larsen rejected, and it now seems unlikely the Norway international will be allowed to leave.
Meanwhile, negotiations for Brentford’s DR Congo forward Yoane Wissa continue, though they have been complicated, with Newcastle having at least two bids turned down for a player reportedly keen on a move to St James’ Park.
Newcastle has invested heavily in its efforts to keep Isak this summer. Sources suggest a deal in excess of $176 million could be the figure at which an agreement might be reached. Talks of a new contract have circulated, but Isak reportedly has no interest in considering any offers.
As of Monday, Isak and Howe had not spoken for over a week, following the striker’s explosive statement on social media in which he accused the club of breaking promises and damaging relationships.
Newcastle United chief Yasir Al-Rumayyan is determined to resolve the situation at St James’ Park one way or another. Attempts to persuade Isak to stay were made at his home on Monday, but the Swedish forward remains firm in his desire to leave the club.
Liverpool.com says: Newcastle reportedly reaching an agreement to sign Woltemade could pave way for the Magpies to allow Isak to leave and finally bring an end to this long and messy transfer saga.